BedfordHOME 

Click on the thumbnails to enlarge then "back",    top left,  to return to this page.

A visit by The Gang of Four to Bedford on  5th February 2019. February is not the month to visit however, the train north to Bedford was cheaper and empty

The Map of our walk

Yellow foot prints lead us from the rather remote station to the town

St Francis Cabrini Italian Catholic Church

Doorway

Early Victorian houses

The Polish Club, we passed the Italian and Afro-Caribbean clubs too

"Verso Romani" semi abstract celebrating the many Italians seeking a new life in Bedford

John Bunyan writer of Pilgrims Progress

Harpur Square

Victorian

An old lamp

Harpur Square again

Harpur Centre

Family at play

The girl

Lucky dog (touch his nose)

The "Coffee House"  for coffee etc

Opposite St Paul's

Ads inside

St Paul's

Stained Glass

The Rood Screen

A carved wooden prophet

Organ Pipes

Regimental Memorial. The Staff in the church were very pleased to see us and wanted a chat.

Angel

Mary and child

The Old town Hall

The Shire Hall, the guard really wanted to talk about cameras

Side Entrance

St Paul's Square

A wall

Foot bridge

Straight on and over

Reflection

Bedford County Court

River Ouse

John Howard after whom the Howard league is named

Vodkalive

A detail

Number Thirteen

St Pauls Square Market

The Bull clock

Ali Barber

Luddington's Passage

Clangers, we didn't try them

The Cross Keys not really Jurassic

A Neighbourhood Pub

Silver Street

Head to Head

Grim

Mill Close

In the Tattoo Shop

Too wet to use

The Mill Hotel

The closed John Bunyan Museum Garden

The Empire

 

We saw a Christadelphian Eclesia, Catholic Churches, several West Indian Gospel Churches, a Wesleyan Meeting place and visited St Paul's but failed to discover (then) what sort of religion Panacea was, founded by Mabel Barltrop (1866-1934) in 1919 at 12 Albany Road, Bedford.

Panacea Society

The Old Fire Station

A Family Butcher

Castle Model

The Higgins Museum and Art Gallery in the old brewery

Made in Bedford

Aurochs lived here many years ago

 

Reconstructed flagon

Auroch  copper pot handle

There was a lace industry here

Lace workers

An Engine made here

Beer etc was made in Bedford

Electric Motors were made here

Traction engines were made here

John Bunyan statue

Coconut heads

Bronze figure

Coco de Mer, the world's largest seed

Beetle

Meissen Falstaff

Glass

Musical Clock

Dogs of Fo. The items in the Museum came from several wealthy local people's collections to start with

William de Morgan Pot

Float?

Moorcroft pots

Viking style seat by Lars Kinsarvik (1846-1925)

Gothic Revival decanter by William Burgess (1827-1881),

Lion

A hard bed

"Winnipeg" by Edward Bawden 1950

Railway Coal Loading Elevator

"The Willington Dovecote " by John Piper 1978. Part of the "We are Five" exhibition, the pictures on show were selected from the collection by the public

"Divan Japonais" by Henri de Toulouse Lautrec 1893

"Stream in Torrent" by Joseph Paul Pettit (18121882)

"Mrs Box" by Dora Carrington (18931932)

Victorian Wedding Dress

Meissen Monkey Jug

A seat in the courtyard

Chinese Takeaway

George And Dragon..

....for lunch and...

......we are now ready to go

A Greene King pub

Another Greene King pub

On Newham Road

The Polish Church of the Sacred Heart of Jesus Christ and St Cuthbert

Like Today

The River Bank

An Avenue

Rowing Eight from Bedford Modern School

The "Embankment" Hotel

A bow footbridge

Reflected Branches

The Castle Mound

The Town Bridge plus swans

Three Swans

The Swan Hotel

The rear of the Shire Hall

Celebrity Hair

Bedford Station

Band Stand

Steve at the Cascade

View of Bedford

"O'delicious" food

Western Street

Secondhand Shop

Location Log

HOME